My New England Fall Bucket List
We are a couple of weeks into September and the New England leaves are starting to turn colors over here. The fall foliage in Connecticut is forecasted to start early and last a lot longer than normal and I couldn’t be more happier to hear that. Fall is my absolute favorite season of the year and there is nothing more refreshing for my soul than to open the windows in our home, feel the crisp autumn mornings, watch the leaves fall and drink a hot cup of coffee. To ring in this fall season I thought I would share a New England fall bucket list of all of the fall-y things to do in Connecticut.
1. Drink a pumpkin spice latte (or two, or five): I know this sounds so cliche, but I truly do love a good PSL when it comes to fall. There’s nothing better than ordering one on a cold day and taking a family walk or drive around the area to watch the leaves turn colors and fall.
2. Decorate the house for fall: I don’t have many fall decorations, but I do love swapping out my wreath every season and putting more fall like faux plants everywhere in the main living areas of our home. I also like to add a few pumpkins and switch out some prints to make it our home a little more cozy. Lastly, I love adding mums everywhere on the outside of our home to make it look and feel more welcoming.
3. Buy my favorite fall candle (linked here) and burn all of it: This really helps me get into the mood of fall. I don’t know what it is about a candle, but to me it smells like all of my favorite things about fall in one scent.
4. Create a fall capsule wardrobe: This is probably more of a New England thing because we have more distinct seasons here. I love being able to pack away the summer clothes and bring out all of the sweaters and shoes that I wear. I usually make a list of all of my fall clothes and look through to see if I need to replace them or not. Then I will make a wish list of the items that I would like to purchase to add to my capsule wardrobe. On this year's wish list I have a camel colored coat, black pants, and black chelsea boots.
5. Re-watch my favorite episodes of Gilmore girls: Another favorite thing to do in the fall! I love re-watching episodes of Gilmore Girls. And it’s a big bonus that I now live in Connecticut and feel more connected to the show, haha.
6. Go apple picking: I never knew that this was more of a New England activity until we experienced it a few years ago in Maine and then moved back to the west coast and no one did it at all! Apple picking with family and friends brings such joy to my heart! I love making apple butter, apple pies, and apple cider with my bounty of apples. We did this last year with some family and we had a blast!
7. Pick out pumpkins: We don’t really like carving pumpkins, but we sure love picking out some and painting them instead. I love that our boys are older too so they both can have a pumpkin of their own to decorate.
8. Run through the leaves: Maybe that’s more for my kids, but you can bet that I will be running through those leaves right alongside them!
9. Take a drive on back country roads and admire the colors of the leaves: Doing this takes my breath away - I cannot stress enough how beautiful New England falls are! The beauty of it all makes me so inexplicably happy!
10. Go to B.F. Clydes Cider Mill and get some fresh apple cider and apple cider donuts: This will be a new place for us to try, but I have heard great things about this shop! These cider donuts are from last year from a farm that we go to for apple and pumpkin picking.
11. Make homemade apple and pumpkin pies: I’ve made a lot of apple pies so that’s not going to be a new thing to do, but this year I really want to make a homemade pumpkin pie. And by homemade I mean I’m going pick out a sugar pumpkin, puree it, and use that for pie filling. It will be work, but that will be so rewarding! And I will definitely document it for you all!
12. And lastly buy a house!!! Okay, this isn’t exactly a New England thing, but that would be so great if we found a house in the fall! We recently decided that we would like to stay in this area and wouldn’t want to keep renting. We have dreamed of buying a home for years now and I am so excited that we are actually taking the plunge and doing it!
That's my tentative New England fall bucket list! Some activities are subject to change, but that won't stop me from enjoying this year's fall with my family and friends. Do you have any fall activities that you love to do? Let me know below! I hope you all enjoy the fall this year and make the most out of it.